Friday, January 23, 2009

"The Victory of Reason"

A quick note on “The Victory of Reason”:

I find it rather amusing that Stark suggests the west made improvements with explosive powder by using it in the development of the canon and fire arms, while he states the Chinese were content with fireworks. Evidently the Chinese didn’t have killing people on they’re minds when they developed the use of powder, however for whatever reason the west did…

How does technology developed for the sole purpose of murder fit with the Christian tradition? Evidently God wants us to destroy our enemies in ever more efficient ways.

I really don’t like this book – but I’ve decided I’m going to finish it anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're going to finish it - I'd be even more glad if you share the problems on my blog too (when I get a chance to catch up...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this book. That said, introducing a moral dimension in this way seems fraught with difficulty to me.

    If you had evidence that the Chinese empire didn't have killing people on their 'to do' list, then you might have a case. As it is, the reasons why they didn't convert the technology in that way are likely to be more complex than simple squeamishness or moral rectitude I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psiomniac,
    Sam is posting on the book on his blog. Feel free to jump in there - dont' want to steel any thunder.

    ReplyDelete